

I had a few gift ideas that involved knitting. I got my needles out, sorted through my yarn, and set to work. Although I was all geared up to knit for a good long time, I stopped myself after about 20 mintues, remembering that last year when I knit for a long period of time (after not having knit for a few months), I got a bad case of Knitter's Thumb. At least, that's what I like to call it. The thumb on my right hand was stiff and sore for at least 3 weeks. It doesn't sound very tough to admit that the reason you flinch when shaking someone's hand is that you've had a knitting accident.
At any rate, this time around, after playing it safe and not over-knitting, the next time I picked up my needles, I had the quandry that I almost always have when I revisit a knitting project in which I am alternating from *knit* to *purl.* WHAT DID I DO LAST? Do I knit or do I purl? I examine the rows and my mind turns to jell-o. I cross my fingers (not really or I wouldn't be able to knit very well) and I decide that surely I ended on a purl. So I knit. And only after two more rows do I see that I have not chosen wisely. So I decide I'll incorporate my mistake into a ribbed pattern that looks intentional. But soon I make the same mistake again and decide that I should probably start over. I think it's time to come up with a system that works for remembering. And just forget the stockinette stitch until then.
Meanwhile, Anna has been begging me for some yarn and needles of her own so she can knit. Maybe she'll be better at keeping up with her knits and purls.
2 comments:
very cute picture of anna. at least you can purl. every time i purl, i realize that i have actually just figured out another way to knit. one day i will figure it out. until then, maybe i will write a book on the 523 ways to make the knit stitch.
Anna has your feet!! Great picture. I don't know how to knit. You can teach me.
Post a Comment