


So unlike those of you who talk about your obsessiveness when it comes to ironing as you sew, I d.r.e.a.d. pulling out the iron. I have no ironing board and most surfaces in our house are usually covered with all sorts of items that don't have homes and therefore take serious thought to be put away. So finding a good spot, a clean towel, and an outlet that reaches this spot is a challenge. And never near my sewing machine. In Amy Karol's book "Bend-the-Rules Sewing" she frequently comments on the importance of the iron. She suggests setting up your iron (aka "your best friend") next to your sewing machine. I could go on and on about all the clever sewing tips she gives in regard to needles, fabric and everything else sewing-related, but instead, you should really go out right now and buy the book.
So I made myself get the iron all set up before I started this last project, an apron for a friend of Anna's. I even used my measuring tape to mark some lines on my fabric to ensure that I cut reasonably straight lines! (This is also a problem area for me. I like to rush through the set-up stage and get on to the sewing. I'm realizing now how essential it is to get your pieces cut out just right and I'm also realizing how desperate I am for a self-healing cutting mat!! With lines. And numbers.) And once everything was cut out and ironed, the rest went smoothly. The only rocky part came with the gathering. I love to gather, but I had trouble getting it evenly gathered and staying in place while I sewed it down. I created a pocket that would hold a little notebook so that a certain little girl could take orders if she wished. Looked cute but made the gathering a little goofy because the pocket was large in comparison to the apron, which was small to accomodate the pixie-esque proportions of a petite four year old.
The crowning moment came when the birthday girl (aka 'apron recipient') exclaimed upon opening her gift, "I've always wanted an apron!" And the next day when I bumped into her parents at the store, they told me that she'd even slept in her apron. This is wonderful news in light of the fact that I made three pattern-less aprons for my neices a few years ago and didn't get a response at all.
Now Anna is asking for one (though she has several and wears mine quite frequently). I'm looking forward to picking out fabric with her and walking her through the steps.
Now, if only it were safe to let her do the ironing.
1 comment:
the apron is adorable! that is so funny about stella. i can't wait to see the fabric anna picks out for her apron.
Post a Comment